1vX.gg
calamity-mod · game-development · terraria

Terraria's Calamity mod shuts down after misconduct allegations against its lead developer

The team behind the decade-old expansion mod ceased all development on Aug. 10, citing an “irrecoverably tainted reputation,” and has already rejected xQc's offer to buy the project.

The team behind Calamity, the expansion-scale Terraria mod that has run for close to a decade, has ended all work on the project. The developers announced the decision on the mod's official Discord on Aug. 10, following weeks of internal turmoil and allegations against lead developer Ozzatron, Dot Esports reports.

“We've been having a lot of internal discussion, and after much debate, we've come to announce a very difficult decision: We will unfortunately be ceasing all development of Calamity,” the team wrote. The statement did not name anyone, pointing instead to the “troubled past” of the mod's development and a reputation the developers described as “irrecoverably tainted.” Many contributors, the team said, had felt “personally betrayed time and time again after being promised something better that never ended up coming.”

First released in 2016, Calamity grew into one of Terraria's largest fan projects, adding bosses, weapons, enemies, biomes, difficulty modes, progression systems and its own soundtrack — enough content to function as a second game after the vanilla campaign. It has passed 9 million Steam Workshop subscribers. In 2024, Terraria creator Andrew “Redigit” Spinks publicly invited members of the Calamity team to work at Re-Logic.

The shutdown followed a Reddit investigation published Aug. 8 that accused Ozzatron, the mod's current lead, of inappropriate interactions involving minors on Discord and of trying to bury the matter once it surfaced inside the team. Those claims remain allegations and have not been independently established. They land on a project that has been through this before: previous lead Fabsol was removed in 2022 after similar grooming accusations.

The practical trigger was asset removal. Contributors began asking for their work to be pulled from the mod, and with developers leaving there was nobody left to replace it. “The lack of anybody to work on the mod, combined with the staggering amount of these we've received since, makes removing and replacing every single one functionally impossible,” the team said. “Ceasing development is frankly the closest thing we can do to fulfilling everybody's requests.” Composer CD Music resigned, the Catalyst side-project was shelved, and planned content such as Sunken Sea never shipped.

Ozzatron, who holds sole ownership of the mod's GitHub, has gone quiet. In a follow-up message the team said he had been “totally uncommunicative for more than a day now about owed bounties for labor and what he intends to do with the several thousand in saved Patreon money,” adding that contributors had not been compensated for their work.

An outside rescue attempt was turned away within a day. Streamer xQc floated buying the mod and hiring its developers — “What if I bought it? And I hired the devs to keep it alive,” he said, adding that his agent would make contact. Community moderators shut the idea down in Calamity's Discord, Dexerto reported: “XQC was rejected. He's not buying calamity.” A wiki contributor said developers and moderators had told them the team was “contacted and repeatedly bothered, despite saying no a million times.”

The existing build is not being pulled — players can still install and play the version of Calamity built over the past decade — but there will be no further content updates.

0 Comments

Join the conversation — sign in to comment.

Sign in
Never miss a match
Get breaking esports news, results, and the best clips in your inbox.